Lisa is always on the lookout for healthy and delicious snacks and food items that can be found in your local grocery, pharmacy or health food store.
Here are her current Top 10 Faves. Try them for yourself and let us know what you think via email or facebook.
1. Applegate Farms: The only cold cuts, hotdogs and hamburgers I’d eat if I were a meat eater and here’s why. Their mission: “Taste. Strive to make the best tasting products with no shortcuts and only natural ingredients. Truth. Conduct our farming practices with integrity and treat our animals and land with respect. Trust. Tell all of our story. Provide transparency into our industry and to our consumers.”
2. Amy’s Frozen Organic Meals: Since 1987, before the word organic was a household name, the first Amy’s Kitchen frozen meal was sold. Now, 24 years later Amy’s is still #1 in popularity and sales in the world of frozen meals. All of the items are vegetarian, but not just for vegetarians. I know plenty of meat eaters who enjoy them regularly. It’s a treat to read the ingredients and find them all to be organic with no artificial ingredients.
3. Bella Bars: “Raw is the new luxury.” A great slogan for one of the best bars on the market. They’re specs read something like this: raw, vegan, around 200 calories, 4 grams of fiber and delicious!
4. Kavli Golden Rye Crispbreads: Are only 30 calories each. All natural, fat and cholesterol free; an excellent bottom to so many toppings. Try them topped with Power-Fu salad, cheese, hummus or avocado & tomato slices.
5. Health Source Pharmacy: Not just a pharmacy, but a full service health food store. I visit the location on 1st Avenue & 55th Street every week. They are always fully stocked and if there’s something I’d like that they don’t carry, the friendly staff always orders things for me and calls me when they arrive. Great service, great products. Why go anywhere else?
6. Josie’s: I’ve been a fan of Josie’s for almost a decade now. It’s natural and organic menu features free-range meats and poultry, eco-friendly seafood and a plethora of vegetarian menu items. The ambience is classy, yet casual. It’s the perfect eating spot for any occasion.
7. Organic Optimum Slim: My favorite cereal. In 1 cup you get 6 grams of fiber, 9 grams of protein, only 6 grams of sugar and zero chemicals. Its tasty, crunchy and the energy it gives you will last until lunch!
8. Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame: These nutrient-packed little morsels are a fantastic protein-rich snack or salad topping. A ¼ cup serving gives you 14 grams of protein, 8 grams of fiber for only 140 calories! Try the lightly salted flavor. They’re a hit with my clients.
9. Your Body Your Life bars: What bar do you know of that has 40 antioxidants, omega 3’s, 6 servings of fruits & vegetables and still manages to taste like a candy bar? Yum and yum!!
10. Zevia: The geniuses behind Zevia have set the bar extremely high for anyone else to make a better stevia sweetened , zero calorie soda. They carry more than 12 incredible flavors, including caffeine-free cola, Dr. Zevia, ginger ale, Mountain Zevia and one of my favorites, lemon lime twist.